Settings and Privacy
One of the most important factors in enjoying your time here on Chat & Date, is having your account set up just how you like it. So you might want to tweak it a bit, and that's what we'll explain in this section.
- How can I hide my account?
If you don't want to use your account for a while, you have the option to hide it. When your account is hidden, you will not appear in People Nearby or the Encounters. Users you chatted with in the past can still message you but you will not able to read the message unless you unhide your profile.
To hide your account simply go to your settings , select 'Delete account' at the bottom of the page and select the option 'Hide your account'. As soon as you confirm this you will be logged out automatically. To read your messages, get seen in People nearby and Encounters again, simply log back in and unhide your profile.
- How do I sign in to Chat & Date?
To sign-in on the desktop site, choose Sign in at the top of the homepage. Enter your email address and password and click 'Sign me in!'
If you've not created an account yet, you'll be able to do so by clicking 'Sign up here' which you'll find at the top of the sign-in page.
- How do I sign in using Google, Facebook or MSN?On the Sign in page, click the Google, Facebook or MSN link on the right side and enter your login details. This section can also include other online services specific to your country.
- I've forgotten my password. What do I do?
- I didn't get a confirmation email after I registered. What do I do?
If you've registered with an email and didn't get a confirmation email, you'll be prompted to complete your registration. To do this, select 'didn't get the email' to check Chat & Date's email confirmation page. You'll be able to check you entered the right email address or correct it if it’s wrong. If that doesn't work, check your email account’s spam folder in case our confirmation email ended up there by mistake. If you find the email in your spam folder, remember to mark it as ‘Not spam’.
You can also sign in to Chat & Date using Facebook Connect, Google, Yahoo or MSN.
- How can I change my name?Please go to your settings and click on the pencil icon next to 'Your basic info'. Enter a new name and click 'Save' to confirm the change.
- How can I change my email address?Please go to your settings and click on the pencil icon next to the section 'Your account'. Enter your new email address, click 'Save' and you will be asked to enter your current password to confirm this.
- How can I change my password?Please open your profile and go to your settings in the top right corner and click on the pencil icon next to the section 'Your account'. Enter the new password, click on 'Save' and you will have to type in your current password and click 'Save' to confirm this.
- Why didn't I receive an email after I selected 'Forgot my password'?
First please make sure that you entered the right email address and correct it if it’s wrong. If you entered it correctly check your email account’s spam folder in case the email ended up there by mistake. If you find the email in your spam folder follow the instructions and remember to mark it as ‘Not spam’.
Contact our Customer Care Team if you have issues locating the email to retrieve your password.
- Who can see my profile?
It’s entirely up to you. You can choose to show your profile to absolutely everyone, or just Chat & Date users. Change it any time you like in your profile settings.
- What are Payment settings?In Payment settings you can manage your payment method and Auto Top-up, view your credit balance, add credits and cancel Chat & Date Premium. If you use a credit card or PayPal as your payment method, you can also choose to unlink it from your account. In order to access this, please open your profile, click on a cog icon in the top right corner and scroll down to Payment settings.
- How can I change my browser’s location settings?Changing your browser’s location settings will allow us to see your approximate location, so that we can help you find people in your area. Don’t worry, we won’t tell anyone exactly where you are, only how close, and we won’t share this information with anyone else.
How you change your settings depends on your browser:
1. Open the Tools menu
2. Click Internet options
3. Click Privacy
4. Uncheck ‘Never allow websites to track your physical location’.
1. Go to Settings
2. Click Show advanced settings
3. Under Privacy, click Content settings
4. In Location choose ‘Ask me when a site tries to track my physical location’
1. In the address bar, type about:config
2. On the next page, type geo.enabled in the search box
3. Double click on the ‘geo.enabled’ preference
4. It should now say ‘enabled’
1. Go to the Safari menu
2. Click Preferences
3. Click Privacy
4. Choose ‘Prompt for each website one time only’
- How can I delete my profile?If you really want to delete your Chat & Date profile, just log into your account and click on the cog icon on the top right corner of your profile page. Scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says 'Delete Account' and follow the instructions given. If you’re having trouble logging in to your account, you can restore your password on this page. If you cannot find the email in your inbox please check your spam folder. If you have problems when trying to delete your profile please contact our Customer Care Team and we will help you.
- What is the Invisible mode?Invisible mode is a premium feature that lets you browse Chat & Date without anyone knowing who you are. You can enable this feature by going to your settings, scrolling down to the 'Invisible mode' section and by activating Chat & Date Premium. As soon as it is enabled a grey silhouette with a hat will appear on your thumbnail photo.
- How can I manage my privacy?
You can manage your privacy via your 'Settings' . Options are available to control who can view your profile, if you want to show your distance and online status, if you only want to be shown to people you liked and visit and if you want allow search by email.
- Can I stop receiving notifications?
Of course! Open your profile on the web, click on the cog icon in the top right corner to open your settings, and scroll to Notifications. Clicking on the pencil icon will let you make changes to your notification preferences.
Turn off any notification for email or browser that you don't want to receive (not including some standard company emails). You can turn them back on at any time.
Make sure to click 'Save' to save your changes!
- Why were email invites sent to my contacts?
We have a feature that enables you to find your friends on Chat & Date by importing existing contacts from your email account. Invitations to your friends are only sent if you share your address book on Chat & Date and send invitations to friends who have not joined us yet.
Don't worry! When importing your contacts, you can always choose to uncheck any contacts who you do not want to invite or add to your friends on Chat & Date.
- How can I reactivate my deleted profile?
First thing’s first: welcome back!
If you deleted your profile less than 28 days ago, you should have a confirmation email from us that includes a reactivation link. Click that and you’ll be able to jump right back in.
If it’s been longer, you’ll need to create a new profile – a good excuse to switch things up and try a different approach, maybe?
- How can I amend my stored payment method?
Open your settings by clicking on the cog icon in the top right corner of your profile page, scroll down to the Payment Settings section and click on it to edit. You'll then be able to unlink your payment method.
- Why am I being charged again?
If you are being charged again and you are not sure why please check if you currently have a Chat & Date Premium subscription or if you have the Auto-Top up feature turned on for credits:
To cancel your Chat & Date Premium subscription made via iTunes, go to the settings of your iPhone or iPad, choose 'iTunes and App Store', then tap your Apple ID and 'View Apple ID'. Enter your password, scroll down to subscriptions and tap 'Manage'. On the Chat & Date Premium screen turn off Auto Renew.
To cancel a Chat & Date Premium subscription bought via Google Play, launch the Google Play store on your phone, locate the Chat & Date app, and then tap 'Unsubscribe'.
If you purchased Chat & Date Premium via Credit Card or PayPal visit the website and close the subscription via your payment settings.
To cancel an SMS subscription, follow the instructions in your initial subscription confirmation SMS message or any subscription-renewal SMS.
If you want to turn off Auto-Top up for your credits, simply open your settings, go to your 'Payment Settings' section and turn the Auto-Top up off. If you are using an iPhone please log in via the Chat & Date website and go to the 'Payment settings' section to turn the Auto-Top up off.
If you are still have some confusion about the payments, please get in touch with our Customer Support team using our Feedback form.